Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The Orphan Train

I LOVE children. . . . .I LOVE music. . . . . I LOVE a good story. . . . .  I LOVE children's musical theater!  I actually love all musical theater, but I particularly love to work with the kids.

For the past two weeks I have had the privilege of working with a fantastic production crew, and an absolutely amazing bunch of kids from our community.   We have done a children's musical theater camp for several summers now, and each year I think the one we are doing is my favorite, but I really do believe the one we are doing this year is a FAVORITE favorite.  We decided to go with the theme of the orphan trains in the late 1800's and early 1900's.  We pulled together music from several musicals and movies (both old and new), and made an outline of where we wanted the story to go.   We researched the history and personal stories of several of the orphan train riders, and then wrote our own script, so that no one child was featured, but all the characters interact with each other in an equal way.  We picked out a few of the train riders and followed their stories, sharing these with the children who were cast in these roles, along with several old photographs.

The result has been absolutely incredible!  We have all been drawn into the stories and we have had a wonderful two weeks together.  We continue to be amazed at the talent these kids have, how quickly they can pick up the songs and dances, remember their lines, and deliver them with the expression and emotion that really pull the audience in.  It has also provided an opportunity to relate the plight of the orphans to our own hopelessness before God in His graciousness draws us into His arms and into His family when we accept His offer of salvation through Jesus Christ.  And. . . . the eternal joy we have in being a child of God!

So now we finish up the costuming, put the final touches on the set, polish up the songs, scenes, and special effects, and get set for dress rehearsal on Thursday and performances on Friday and Saturday evenings.  My huge and heartfelt thanks to the team of volunteers making this happen, to all the kids performing, and all the parents who have trusted us with their kids these past two weeks.   I love you all. . . .. this brings joy to my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment