Thursday, May 17, 2012

One thousand gifts

I suppose it's normal to have significant events, or the anniversaries thereof, seem to mark the page turns of your life.  Some of us mark the passing of years by Christmas, since January begins the ACTUAL new year.  For some of us who work in the school system, it seems like August or September is always the beginning of the next chapter.  I guess it doesn't really even matter. . . . it's just that May/June seems to be that time for me now.  All the sights, sounds, smells, and activities of Spring now remind me of a diagnosis of cancer. . . . . the hope of picking life up again. . . . and the sorrow of a life ended.  I think of Sara constantly.  But mingled with those memories are also the reminders of graduations. . . weddings. . . birthdays of children and grandchildren, and many other blessings.  One thousand gifts. . . . As the page of my life turns this spring, I want to start a continuous list of the daily gifts and blessings in my life. . . . to recognize and name them daily, even amidst the trials and heartaches that will likely be present on a daily basis as well.  I won't write them all here (obviously), but my goal is that every time I do write, I will add to that list.  I'm fairly certain that if I follow through with this, I will be well BEYOND one thousand by Spring of 2013. 

This past weekend I went through boxes of old cards and letters, looking for mother's day cards from Sara from years past.  I found several. . . most precious is the last one she wrote to me (2010).  I also found lovely notes and cards from Sam, Heidi, and Kari. . . from Woody, and from other friends and family.  So, fittingly. . . . to start my list. . .

1.  Old or new letters on lined paper - or any paper 
2.  The power, beauty, and comfort of words
3.  Confrontation that helps us solve problems
4.  A job that I have to go get ready for

1 comment:

  1. Go ahead and list them all, Noreen! We will cheer and praise God for each one because they are our gifts, too!

    ReplyDelete