Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Books

46.  Amazing technology
47.  Old books
48.  Used book stores, book exchanges, libraries
49.  A thesaurus
50.  Friends who know how to do things you don't
51.  Summer cleaning
52.  Getting caught up and re-organized
53.  People that love books as much as I do

So funny this morning. . . I was getting ready to sit down to write, and Woody (not even knowing I was headed to the computer) said, "I have something for your list".  I said, "What list?" (first assuming that he meant my list of things to do).  Instead, he said, "Your list of one thousand gifts. . . . a thesaurus!  What a great idea someone had!"  The thing that was so perfect, was that the thankful thoughts I wanted to share today stemmed from some old books I had found while cleaning things out these past few days, and I would absolutely put a thesaurus on my list!

One thing I found, while rearranging a book shelf, is an old book of my dad's. It was copywrited in 1938, and entitled "A Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms. . . with 5000 words often mispronounced".  I even love the title!  It is very similar to a thesaurus, but what really caught my fancy (besides the fact that it belonged to my dad) was opening it up and reading the preface.  You'll have to excuse me. . . but I do NEED to give you just a little taste. . .

"This volume needs few words to introduce it, as its object is apparent to the most casual reader.  It was written to help those who use it in finding the exact words they need to express their written and spoken thoughts, with a minimum expenditure of time and effort, and a maximum reward in efficiency and accuracy. . . . .Everyone at some time finds himself groping futilely for a word to describe exactly the idea he wishes to convey; it may be a word to be used as a substitute for another in order to give variety of expression, or it may be one that, although familiar, eludes him at the moment so that he has to pause and ponder, losing time in trying to recall the one word that will suit.  It is at such moments that the wise man will reach for this volume, and find immediately the word he wants."

I don't know why I love that. . . most of you are probably thinking. . . "What is wrong with this woman??!!"
I just love reading, and I love writing, and like Woody says. . . . what a great idea someone had!!

My other precious find was while I was sorting boxes of used books at school this week.  Our student council collects used books every year at Christmas to hold a Christmas Book Exchange for our student body.  We had several boxes left over, which have been sitting in my office for months collecting dust. . . and other things.  I've had time this week to clean out and re-organized in my office. . . . and actually spent quite a lovely morning sorting all the books.  The treasure I found is "The Collected Tales of Nurse Matilda", which is the book behind the movie Nanny McPhee.  The precious thing about this book is that sometime early last spring, Sara and I watched that movie.  We both loved it and I told Sara that I thought it was based on an old book.  She promptly put it on her reading list and we went on a half-hearted hunt for it. . . never finding it.  I didn't know at the time that it was actually called Nurse Matilda.  It was originally published in the UK in 1964.  And yes. . . I do need to give you a little taste of this too. . .

"Once upon a time there was a huge family of children; and they were terribly, terribly naughty.  In those days, mothers and fathers used to have much larger families than they do now; and these large families often were naughty.  The mothers and fathers had to have all sorts of nurses and nannies and governesses (who were often French or German) to look after all their naughty children.  This family I'm telling you about seemed to have more children, and naughtier children, than any other.  There were so many of them that I shan't even tell you their names but leave you to sort them out as you go along, and add up how many there were.  Even their parents had to think of them in groups.  There were the Big Ones and the Middling Ones and the Little Ones and the Littlest Ones, and the Baby.  The baby was really a splendid character . . . "

Okay, I'll stop.  I wish Sara was here to read it and laugh with me.  But I am grateful I found it.  I've been thinking of getting a kindle.  I think I'm getting an Ipad through work, which will force me to learn how to use all that technology. . . which I am thankful for too.  But even with all the amazing technology of computers and ebooks and kindles and ipads . . . there is just something about holding an old book.  It has a history of its own.  There is the gift of what's inside and also the mystery of where it has been. 

. . .from an avid and everlasting book lover. . .

2 comments:

  1. Oh Noreen, you are so right about books! I have a Kindle. Although its very convenient for traveling as I am typically reading more than one book at a time, there is something quite impersonal about it. "Cuddling up with a good book" just doesn't fit a Kindle, I'm afraid. But like all new things, they have their place in our lives. Maybe its that books are printed on paper that comes from trees that were once alive and growing, so there's some intimate connection to the world that God created for us. Or perhaps its that as children, we would run away to a far off land with a book. I'm with you. I love books. Always have and always will. Thanks for the tip on the Nurse Matilda book, I think that will be on my Christmas list and one to add to my library for visiting children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Noreen,
    I just returned from a trip to northern MN and Ontario and so I took along my nook and also an old book that I found on Mom's bookshelf when they were moving. It had that old book smell:) It was printed in 1943, written by a bishop of the Norwegian Lutheran Church and owned by Sam Disrud. I haven't quite finished it but it was the perfect book for the trip. I often find that that happens. The right book at the right time. It's called Land of Suspense which is a strange title for a book about the people of Norway and his experiences traveling around visiting them. Anyway, loved your thoughts on embracing both the new and the old.

    love, Haidi

    ReplyDelete