Wednesday, May 1, 2013

beginnings. . . . . and endings. . . . and beginnings

May 1st . . .  April, May, and June are filled with memories of beginnings and endings.  I guess that is not really anything phenomenal, we could all probably say that about any month or season.  That is life. . . . beginnings and endings and the story in between.  The pain in Sara's knee became more than a minor discomfort in April of 2009.  She came home in May and we made an appointment with the doctor for June 4th.  Her treatment for osteosarcoma started immediately.  In April of 2010 Sara completed her protocol of chemo and her second lung surgery.  May and June were months of recovery, physical therapy, a "final" leg surgery, and plans for resuming her life.  May 2nd of 2011 was the end of Sara's life here on earth.   I still don't understand it, I still don't want to accept it, I still struggle against it. . . . . but I am beyond thankful that for Sara, that ending was just a glorious new beginning.  I will also always be thankful for those two years we had with Sara.  It was two years of recognizing and appreciating all the things we loved about her, and never taking her for granted.  That was a gift, and I know we were blessed. 

On days when the choice to get up and keep going is particularly difficult, I realize that I have neglected to grab hold of what God continually offers.  That is also a choice that is sometimes just hard to make. 
I need to continue my "thankful list".

311.  The vastness of God's grace and mercy
312.  Busy days that pass quickly
313.  Lasting friendships
314.  That VHS can become DVD - memories of good times
315.  When an ending becomes a better beginning
316.  Face time - both real and virtual
317.  New green growth coming up through plants we thought were dead
318.  Open windows
319.  Spring flowers
320.  New recipes - like curry chicken
321.  Family

Gotta go to work. . . . . .

1 comment: