Saturday, December 17, 2011

Kringla

I lost my kringla recipe.  It is a recipe for a Norwegian cookie that I got years ago from Woody's aunt Esther. I have made kringla for Christmas every year since the kids were little.  I have a special box where I keep all my handwritten recipes from my mom, my grandma, other family members, and friends.  I had two recipes in that box that I recognized immediately when I went digging through it, because they were old and stained.  One is my gingerbread house recipe (which we also used to make every year when the kids were little), and the other was my kringla recipe.

None of our kids are able to come home for Christmas this year.  We are okay with that.  We have been hogging alot of the holidays the past two years, and they need to spend time with their spouse's families.  I have to say again (every chance I get) that I am so thankful for the families our kids married into.  We are blessed.  (Woody and I are going to make the rounds to see all of them the week after Christmas, for which I am also thankful.)  Anyway, even though the kids won't be here, I decided that I would go ahead and make kringla for our staff lunch at school on Monday.  But when I went to get out my recipe a few hours ago, it is nowhere to be found.  I made it last Christmas, and must have misplaced the paper or thrown it in the trash by mistake.  Kind of crazy to have a melt-down over a lost kringla recipe.  Oh, I got on the internet and found a ton of kringla recipes, but none of them are exactly like the one I had.  It is just another reminder that nothing will ever be the same.  Our family is changed forever.  I know change is inevitable, and change is often good, but this one is hard to swallow.  I'm keeping my daughter Kari's words in my heart.  I am trying to focus on all the good memories we have, AND how blessed we still are. 

I am off to try a new kringla recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment