Saturday, September 1, 2012

Delicious!

I decided I needed to write about the results of my pumpkin pancake adventure.  LOOK OUT ORIGINAL PANCAKE HOUSE!!  I have also decided that in November I am going to stock up on about a dozen cans of pumpkin, so that I can make these delicious treats at least once a month . . . all year long.  Actually, a large can of pumpkin will probably make 3 or maybe even 4 batches for Woody and I.  We could eat them once a week!!  They met every expectation I had since first thinking about them this morning.  Here is my amended recipe (outline):

About 1 1/4 cups of flour
About 1/4 cup brown sugar (increased from 2 Tblsp in original recipe)
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg, Cloves (no measuring, just shake it in - heavy on the cinnamon)
1 cup of milk
About 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree (maybe more)
A big dollop of applesauce (instead of the 2 Tblsp of oil in the recipe)
1 egg
A large pat of butter (because it was the end of a stick and I needed to wash the butter dish)

This made about a dozen good sized pancakes that looked, smelled, and tasted delicious.
I could go on "Pancake Wars"!  (If there was such a thing)  Next time I just might add chocolate chips!  The only thing missing was The Original Pancake House's REAL homemade whipped cream.  I didn't have the courage to attempt that. 

(Oh - along with the pancakes, I also made scrambled eggs with spinach, cheese, sweet red pepper, and cilantro - also delicious)  Who ever knew I could blog about cooking????

This also sparked another "Sara memory".  The last time I remember making pancakes (for breakfast that time - not pumpkin, but chocolate chip), was on a snowy January morning in 2010.  Sara was due to go back to San Francisco for chemo, but I-80 was closed because of a snow storm.  As it happened, the snow extended all the way to Fallon, so schools here were also closed.  We couldn't get to San Francisco, and I didn't have to go to work either!  We celebrated by making chocolate chip pancakes - although those were from Bisquick. 

Tonight, besides the pancakes, we had a lovely evening with an old high school friend of Sara's, who brought his girlfriend back to town and came over for a visit.  We are so thankful for so many of Sara's friends who still think of us.  Precious gifts!  Tonight, the girlfriend came back to the door after they had left, to thank us for the difference Sara made in her young man's life, and she never even knew Sara.  It meant so much.

166.  Sara's friends
167.  Red gerber daisies and encouraging notes
168.  September
169.  Pancakes for dinner
170.  Sleeping deeply enough to dream

No comments:

Post a Comment