Saturday, September 15, 2012

Fun Food

"Starve a cold and feed a fever". . . .or "Feed a cold and starve a fever". . . . . I can never remember which one it is.  Yesterday I had both, so I traded off just in case.  I got slammed with a cold on Thursday, took extra vitamin C, used my essential oils, took some natural logenzes from my wonderful school secretary, and even went and bought some cold medicine. . . . sure I would kick it before it got the best of me.  Yesterday morning I woke up feeling like my head was going to explode, so I opted to stay home and refrain from exposing my colleagues and kids to both my germs and my bad mood. 

As I alternated between being hot and cold, hungry and sick to my stomach, I rummaged through the cupboards and the fridge looking for something to "feed my cold. . . or my fever" whichever it was supposed to be.  I haven't been grocery shopping for awhile, so pretty much just had random food items left.  (which are sometimes the most fun)  It reminded me a little of when we would search for something that would sound good to Sara when the chemo was getting the best of her, but she still needed to eat.  Even as I am writing this I think. . . no one probably cares or wants to read about this. . . . but this is something that I wish I could tell Sara because she would laugh with me. . . so I write it here.

Anyway, when I was cold, and looking for something to warm me up, I came up with this nice little treat. . .  Heat 3 corn tortillas in the microwave.  Lightly spread butter and sprinkle sugar and cinnamon between the layers.  Roll and eat. . . . They were delicious!  (I guess 1 or 2 would work just as well, and be a few less calories)

Then, later, when I was hot, and thought I should eat something a little more healthy and substantial, I concocted this bit of deliciousness. . . .Mix 1 packet of white tuna, finely chopped veggies (romaine lettuce, carrots, celery, spinach, cilantro - whatever you have, but I think the cilantro is a MUST), and enough Bacon Ranch dressing to make it smooth.  Use as a dip with Cracked Black Pepper and Sea Salt Mini Rice Cakes. . . . .This was not only delicious, but also looked pretty fancy.  I believe this might be worthy of pintrest. . . if I only knew how to use pintrest. :)  Of course, as with any recipe, the beauty of it is that you can substitute any of the ingredients with something you like better. (in MY opinion, the bacon ranch dressing and cilantro should remain as the basics in this one) 

I also read alot yesterday.  Ecclesiastes is another one of my favorite books in the Bible.  (No, I did not read my Bible all day - that would definitely be giving a false impression)  I often go there when I'm feeling like "What is the point anyway?"  Solomon seems to have similar circular thoughts as he writes about his quest for meaning, purpose, and satisfaction in this life.  But even though he repeatedly presents the "vanity" or futility of life here on this earth, he always (divinely inspired) comes back around to the conclusion that eternity is NOT here on earth, that God holds all things in His hands, and that we bow to Him as our Savior and Lord.  This may sound crazy, but I like reading in Ecclesiastes, knowing that God used Solomon even as he struggled with understanding what this life is all about. . . just like we do. 

184.  The time when you are still sick enough to use it as an excuse NOT to do some things, but not sick enough that you can't get up and do what you really want to do
185.  Random foods
186.  Those moments when you get glimpses of God's direction, and the way He is working in your life
187. Our incredible kids and their incredible families - pets and all!
188.  Free pizza from Pizza Barn (and not knowing it's free till you get there)
189. When weekends are slow enough that you can get caught up from your week
200.  The fact that the gifts of God are constant, even though it often takes awhile for us to acknowlege them

No comments:

Post a Comment