Friday, November 4, 2011

Have I mentioned that I love the Fall??  I think this is always one of the busiest seasons.  It seems like a time of constant planning and preparation . . . for a variety of things.  But let's face it, EVERY season is busy these days.  I just love crunchy leaves, vibrant colors, crisp mornings, pumpkin spice flavors and aromas, counting the days till the holidays, and GAINING AN HOUR when the time changes! 

I have a new devotional book (recommended by Kari) entitled "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young.  This morning's reading started like this. . . "Walk peacefully with me through this day.  You are wondering how you will cope with all that is expected of you.  You must traverse this day like any other, one step at a time.  Instead of mentally rehearsing how you will do this or that, keep your mind on My presence, and on taking the next step.  The more demanding your day, the more help you can expect from Me. . . Challenging times wake you up and amplify your awareness of needing My help. . . "  (Ex 33:14, Deut 33:25, Heb 13:20-21, Ps 29:11)  Amazing!  Lately I often feel like I am struggling against God's help.  Why would I do that?  It really makes no sense!  And yet, making the choice to accept God's peace and His promises can be so hard to do.  I guess that's why faith is "the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen" - and I would add or felt.  So thankful His truth is not dependent on how I feel!

We keep finding little reminders of Sara that had been tucked away.  Tonight I was cleaning out my drawer of potholders (realizing I needed to put several in the laundry), and found one with Sara's name and handprint, made in 1993 (she was 5).  We also received a note in the mail from the mom of one of Sara's elementary school friends.  She had found a poem that her son had written to Sara back then, and sent it to us.  Those things are so precious.  They help me hold on to the reality that she was here.  I'm so thankful for every little connection we have.  I sometimes just want to sit and surround myself with those reminders and those memories.  This time last year, Sara was preparing for surgery to remove the recurring tumor in her leg.  We had just been told that she should think about making some quality of life decisions, as she would not be likely to survive her cancer.  I don't think we really believed she would be gone so soon. 

2 comments:

  1. I like to think about the fact that we're reading the same thing every morning. :) I'm glad you got it and like it.

    and I just did a blog post about how much I love fall too. :) Like mother like daughter, huh? You're going to love all the fall colors here when you come for Thanksgiving. But you might not love the rain. But you will love playing with Wyatt, which makes up for pretty much anything. :)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swenson Family...just so you know, we are still reading and praying for you all. Our summer and fall have been ridiculously busy but filled with lots of family stuff, both good and bad. Our love to you all in Jesus complete presence,
    Doug and Gailen

    ReplyDelete