Saturday, September 3, 2011

Why?

So, here I go.  My plan is to stop posting on caringbridge, and start writing here.  As I start this new venture, I want to explain the name of my blog site.  I don't think I would even be doing this if it weren't for Sara.  I never realized how much I love to write until we started our caringbridge site after her cancer diagnosis in June of 2009.  I had written children's programs, and various scripts for different church activities, but never just for the sake of writing what was on my mind or my heart.  It has helped me so much over the past two years, to be able to put all the thoughts and emotions swirling in my mind into words.  I have learned alot about myself, and hopefully it has helped me to grow and mature, AND to do more daily surrendering to my Savior.

Anyway, about the name of my blog. . . . "Letters on Lined Paper". . . .  When Sara lost her battle with osteosarcoma, or maybe I should say. . . when Sara claimed the victory of her life in Christ, and left this earthly life for a new home in heaven, I found out from her roommate that one thing Sara loved, was to receive letters on lined paper.  I never knew that.  It made me sad at first, because I can't remember if I ever actually sent her letters.  I know I sent notes to her at college every now and then.  But mostly it was phone calls, emails, cards, or short little notes.  That made an impression on me.  For weeks after her death, I searched everywhere for anything she had written. . . journals, letters, cards, college papers, notes in her bible, lists, ANYTHING.  It made me realize how precious the written word can be.  It also made me realize what a great writer Sara was.  It was like little pieces of herself that she had left behind.  I found two sheets of notebook paper that she had used to write out a couple of her favorite bible verses.  She started at the very top left hand corner, and then wrote around the edge, and kept going around and around, until she finished at the middle of the paper, just writing out the verses over and over again.  The two verses were; Phillipians 4:13, "I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.", and Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for calamity, to give you a future and a hope."  I am pretty sure that she wrote those verses out during the months AFTER she found out that her cancer had returned, and the doctors were giving her no hope for recovery.  What amazing faith!

I have had people suggest that I put our caringbridge journals (along with Sara's prayer journals) into a book.  That is something that I think I would love to do, but truth be told, I am not exactly sure what that process looks like, or how to go about it.  For now, I am going to try writing on this blog.  If a book were to ever come about, I think that I would like the title to be "Letters on Lined Paper", in honor of Sara.  It helps me in my grieving process to write.  If perhaps it can help someone else to read what I've written, that is a double delight to my heart. 

I posted this on caringbridge, but I am going to post it again here, because this is part of the "Why?" .

To Sara

If I could write a letter straight to heaven above,
I'd send it on lined paper, and say how much you're loved.
I'd ask you how you're doing, what you see and think and feel,
and how it feels to dance again, as you see God's face for real!
I'd ask what songs you're singing, as you lift your voice in praise.
I bet breath control is better than it was in cancer days!
I wish that I could call you, or text you on your phone,
or that we could go to Starbucks, or to get an ice cream cone.
I know that you are happy, free from pain and free from care.
I just wish that I could talk to you, to hear what it's like there!

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you have started this blog! I've been following your Caring Bridge site for several months and I really appreciate your thoughts.

    (I work at Corban and sang in the choir at Grace. I have crossed paths with Sara but didn't know her very well.)

    Anyway, definitely keep writing. I really enjoy blogging and journaling, and find I'm more motivated to journal about life when I have people reading and responding.

    By the way, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know I'm a little late in saying so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME! This is incredible! Isn't it amazing how great technology is? Thank goodness for our kids that teach us how to use it! Kudos to Kari for setting this up. It looks wonderful. I have so enjoyed your posts over the last couple of years and look forward to following you on this blog. Remember you are in my prayers daily.
    -Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noreen, thank you for sharing your heart. Much love to you and your family, Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful blog!!! and your song for Sara makes me cry. I am so glad you'll continue to write and that you have such a lovely place to do so...kudos to Kari for the set up, I love the background and gerbera (so Sara!). It looks so bright. I'm sure Sara would approve :) Love, Dana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Noreen,
    SO beautiful! I love it. Thanks for your courage and vulnerability as you share your journey with us. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Noreen,

    It's going to take some getting used to seeing this site compared to CareingBridge but I guess that I will get used to it!

    I miss my friend and pray for your family every day. My mother and I have often talked about how HIS plan is always greater than ours, even when we are not sure about the why's in this life. I know that HIS plan is the perfect one... I feel that being able to know that I am not the only one that has the questions and affirmations daily has helped me grow in my faith. One thing that I found myself doing every day all day is just as it says in 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 "Rejoice always pray withouth ceasing in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." Even though it is right to the point and would seem to be a pretty easy thing to do, I realized just in past three months how little I have been doing just that through out my life. I guess that it has been encouragement knowing everything Sara went through and how she never once lost faith. I personally can not say the same... I have lost faith and had to find it again, only to realize that it's once I thought that I lost faith that HE was even more faithful in those times than I realized.

    So thank you Noreen, for sharing everything as you have. Know that it has meant much much more than just keeping me posted on Sara... its been an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete